Many needlewomen have to face skin in their work. Products from this material look very impressive and stylish. But this material is not as easy to process as it might seem at first glance. Consider the basic parameters of work, as well as how to sew leather on a sewing machine, what thread to work with.
What should be prepared
When working with skin, there are many different features and trifles, and if you are unfamiliar with them, you are unlikely to be able to establish good work with this material. For example, if you need to carve out identical parts, it is worth remembering that in the transverse position the material stretches better than in the longitudinal one. Based on this, we can conclude that you can cut paired parts in any direction, but always in the same way.
- Do not use pins for chipping skin. Junk marks may remain on the material. Therefore, choosing pins for work, you simply ruin the product.
- When working with soft leather on a sewing machine, you can safely use a regular needle with the number 80 or 90. If you plan to work with rough skin or when working on thickened areas, you will need to buy a special needle for working with this material. When setting the stitch length, you should not choose too small, because this can lead to the fact that with frequent punctures, the material will begin to tear.
- The needle for hand sewing should also be special. She looks special, she has a triangular tip instead of the usual tip. Of the tools you may need the following: a boot knife, a thimble, and durable synthetic threads. When working with a needle to flash the product, be careful not to tear it.
How to work with natural material on a sewing machine
For many, such work may seem like an impossible task, but if you are competent in the task, you will succeed.
Consider how you can sew natural leather so that when you move on to this stage of work, you have no difficulties.
- First you need to fold the parts to each other with their front sides. Line the edge. In order to fix, you can use clips or clothespins.
- Adjust the stitch length to 3.5-4 mm on the technique. Follow the line of your desired length.
- On each side, a thread of at least 4 cm in length must be left for ease of processing.
- The edges of the threads must be pulled to one side, where you can tie them with a double knot.
- On allowances and knots it is required to put glue. Expand them and press them to the base.
If desired, you can complete the finishing stitch.
- When making clothes using natural material, it must be ironed from the back, while the iron should not be too hot. Use a dry rag to iron, do not use steam.
- In order to prevent the parts from stretching, you need to use a special foot.
- Secure the seams more reliably with a couple of knots, otherwise you risk that the seams will simply unravel.
- For work, you will certainly need to use glue. In this case, PVA or Moment is suitable, it can also be rubber glue.
Features of work
Here are some tips for tailoring leather goods and leatherette, so that in the end the result will please you:
- Choose patterns that do not require planting. If we talk about complex forms, they are much easier to perform when performing structural seams.
- Kimono or raglan type sleeves are much easier to sew than set-in seams. In the event that you still decide to work with set-in sleeves, it is necessary to measure the increase in landing, not more than 1.5 cm. Experts recommend choosing a seam for a shirt cut.
- It is important that you are confident in the correctness of your pattern. If you are working with new models, experiment on regular fabric. This will avoid the possibility of damage to expensive material.
- Marking can only be done on the wrong side. Use a pen or soft pencil for this, you can also purchase a special pencil.
- The width of the seam allowances should be the same.
- Since the needle leaves holes during sewing, the products are not pre-bent or chipped. For this purpose, you can use a special adhesive tape or paper clip.
- Choose a seam seam or stitch, sewing.
- Seam allowances must be glued so that the product finally looks neat, which glue to choose is described above.
- As a lining material, you can use a special non-woven fabric.
Before you start working with this beautiful, but difficult material, familiarize yourself with the features of its processing and in this case, you will certainly be able to achieve the desired result.