You can embellish the interior decoration of the room or give it originality and comfort with the help of decorative elements. For this purpose, lovely do-it-yourself-made little things are great. And one of those things is the chair cover. It will allow not only to extend the life of the new or update the look of old furniture, but also transform the interior: after renovation, to create a festive atmosphere or to give the room bright colors.
Types of chair covers
Making this item yourself is not such a difficult task. It is enough to have a desire, to know what the final result should be and to show creativity. But first you need to understand what kind you will use.
Cover options are divided by the following characteristics:
- warp material: woven or knitted from yarn;
- how much he covers the subject: completely, only the back or seat;
- period of use: permanently, temporarily (as a decor for some special occasion).
The required amount of starting material and production time will depend on the selected variation.
Do-it-yourself preparation for making a chair cover
Before starting any needlework, preparatory work is necessary. In this case, they consist in the choice of material and taking measurements. But first, determine how closed the surface of the subject will be. It will be hidden under the cover completely or the product will cover only the back or seat. Also, when fully closed, it will be a single thing or a set consisting of separate parts (a cape for the back and a cover for the seat).
Another important point is the choice of the starting material for the cover of a bar or any other chair: fabric or yarn. Of course, for craftswomen who know how to knit threads well, it will be preferable, but we suggest considering a woven version.
Measurement of furniture parameters is useful to you for constructing patterns and calculating the right amount of fabric. For this process, you need to measure with the measuring tape (tape measure or tailor meter) the following dimensions:
- height and width of the back;
- seat length and width;
- the distance from the seat to the lowering point - this can be either the floor or the point to which the drapery is planned to lower.
IMPORTANT! When calculating, throw a few centimeters to each measure for a loose fit.
Determined with color and fabric
The next step is the choice of color and texture of the fabric. Here you need to build on how often this item will be used. For continuous use, preference should be given to matter having the following parameters:
- Adequate density. This is especially true for options for kitchen furniture, because these variations will often get dirty. The product must withstand numerous washings. This quality is possessed by gabardine, linen, satin and cotton.
- Matching colors to the color scheme of the design. For example, for the kitchen, the execution of covers and tablecloths from one fabric looks great.
If a thing has a decorative function, then it is not necessary to choose a durable fabric. In this case, the color and texture of the product are more important. Most often, a catchy color and plastic fabric are chosen, which can be beautifully laid with drapery folds and decorated with decor: bows, flowers or ribbons.
How much material is needed per case
After taking measurements and choosing a fabric, you can proceed to the acquisition of material. Sewing one product requires about three meters of fabric. If you want to know more precisely how much fabric you need, then heading to the store, take a pattern. Attaching it to matter in the way you cut the fabric, you will know the exact amount.
ATTENTION! The cutting of matter is carried out in one direction, along the warp thread.
We make a pattern
There is no single pattern for all chairs. It is best if you make an individual drawing. But you can use several ready-made variations, making the necessary adjustments for your furniture.
One of the simplest examples is a one-piece version:
For chairs with a seat with rounded edges, this pattern is suitable:
If you want to make protection only for the seat, then use this variation:
How to choose a chair cover design
The choice of decorative elements for decorating the home has always been based on the general stylistic direction of the room. For different rooms, the requirements are different. But there are a number of the following recommendations:
- For a kitchen room, it is preferable to change the product, which will be easily removed and put on, do not interfere with the movement of a person around the room and have special wear resistance.
- Restrained, somewhere even strict lines are acceptable for the living room. It is advisable to use a muted color without a pattern or with a small geometry.
- Light, airy patterns of flowing fabric with frills and ruffles are acceptable in the bedroom.
- Baby chairs are made of bright fabric with a fun pattern.
IMPORTANT! For products bearing the function of festive decoration, it is better to focus on decorative elements: bows, artificial flowers, ribbons and drapery.
Not only stylish, but also functional
Chair covers not only have a decorative function, they protect your furniture from dirt and damage. This is especially true if small children live in the house. In addition, they provide an opportunity, without unnecessary costs, to update the appearance of your home, and also allow old, comfortable furniture to gain a second life. After all, hauling and restoration are significant costs that many can not afford. Sewing furniture covers means not only transforming the interior, but also excitingly and usefully spend a free evening. Another such method will help to add coziness and warmth to your family nest.